Be Honest in Job Interviews
Some teenagers would like to be able to get a job and earn money. Since these individuals are still in school, the next best thing to getting a real job is getting one that is part-time.
When applying for a part-time job, here are some tips one must remember when going up to a potential employer;
• One must prepare a resume when applying for part-time work. Even if the person does not have experience, it will show the employer that a little effort was made on the part of the applicant in producing something on paper. The resume may contain highlights or strengths about the applicant which could make the applicant stand out over other people that have applied for the same position and in the end get that job.
• When meeting an employer, being dressed appropriately is important. It shows the sincerity one has in applying for the job. One must be that finger-nails and hair are well groomed for the interview. The outfit worn could be business casual. A polo and khaki pants will be ideal for men and a polo and skirt for the women will do well for the interview. This would mean that moderate shoes must be used to match the outfit. If one wears a lot of earrings, it is advisable to remove some to present the person better.
• Getting a job is not easy and there will be a lot of times that the employer will say “no.” This is nothing personal but some employers will prefer someone who has some experience. Even if one is rejected, the person must not give up in getting that part-time and move on to the next potential employer.
• When one is already in front of the employer, a firm handshake is always a good start. Walking in and showing ones sincerity in getting the job is another. There is only so much one say in an interview so it is best to practice in selling to the person the strengths one possesses in order to get that job.
• In the course of going from one employer to another, the employer will not give the answer at once if the person is hired or not. Other applicants will still be interviewed before making that decision. By keeping a list of the places where one went for an interview, one will be able to call and follow up the status of the application.
Part-time jobs are available in various places. One might find one while walking in the neighbourhood, checking the school bulletin board or local paper and even the web for job postings.
Jobs Available Online
In the past, applying for a job meant looking through the classified ads in the local paper. The advent of the internet has created various job sites online making it easier for someone to apply for work in another state and in even in another country.
It has made the world a smaller place with everything at one’s fingertip and just a click away. Most job sites will require a person to open an account, fill in certain information and deposit a resume.
These sites usually ask for pertinent information such as the person’s name, age, address, contact number and social security number.
Other information that will be requested is educational background. Some companies prefer someone with a degree in a certain field or a licensed professional to do the job or perhaps a person who possesses a master’s degree.
Employment history is also another thing that has to be mentioned. This includes the job description and highlights that you have experienced during your career.
With the information provided, some of these sites offer a service with a fee that will match your qualifications with jobs that are available and enable you to apply for that position. Some even promise to make your resume stand out over other applicants giving that person more priority over others but even that is a not a guarantee that one will get the job.
One also has to mention the salary the person is receiving both in the current and previous jobs as this is matched with the job the individual wants and the salary one desires.
These sites offer various jobs to people. It caters to professionals and teenagers who want to work either for full time, part time or on a per-project basis.
Applying online is not only done through job sites. A lot of companies have websites that have a section on careers which one can access and check what openings are available. One simply has to go through the process of also giving certain information that is asked for and uploading one’s resume.
The first impression employers or headhunters look at is one’s resume. Given that many people apply, this usually takes these people a short period of time to review and screen certain applicants before going to the next phase of being scheduled and called for an interview.
There are many jobs available in the market. It just takes a little effort on one’s part to sit down in front of a computer and look for the right job.
Tips in a Job Interview
The second step in getting the job is meeting the potential employer for an interview. The first step that an applicant has successfully completed was sending your application and passing the screening process of the company.
The employer got the resume through a variety of sources that can be from an ad that was posted, a referral from a friend or a headhunter, or by a person who simply submitted an application by logging on the company’s website.
Here are a few tips that will help in having a successful interview;
• Before going to an interview, it is best to do some research about the company one is applying to.
• It is also best to practice with a friend or family member mock up questions that the employer will likely ask so you do not choke during the real interview.
• When you go for an interview, it is best to always arrive 10 to 15 minutes ahead of time. This shows employers that the person is punctual and serves as a good attribute in a potential employee.
• When meeting an employer, you should bring an extra copy of the resume and other documents that are needed if asked certain questions. A good example is architects and photographers who are professionals in the respective fields who have a portfolio of the works done which may impress the interviewer.
• It is always best to dress appropriately. This shows the employer sincerity on the part of the applicant applying for the job. One must have finger-nails and hair well groomed for the interview. The outfit worn should be professional. This would mean that shoes must be used to match the outfit. If you typically wear a lot of jewellery, it is advisable to remove and tone it down for the interview.
• When you are in front of the employer, smile and greet the interviewer with a firm (but not bone-crushing) handshake which is always a good start to get the interview moving.
• During the course of the interview, listen very well to the questions asked. Each must be answered truthfully and confidently to be able to sell yourself to the potential employer.
• Afterwards, the applicant should thank the recruiter for the time that was given to meet for the interview.